Families Change Kids Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here


Neel: Do you want to find out more about separation and divorce? Or do you need some extra help dealing with your parents deciding to live apart? Here are some ideas...

There are lots of people around you who can help you deal with your parents’ separation.

Sometimes, just talking to a friend can help a lot, especially if his or her parents have also split up.

You can also talk to an adult you trust, like:

  • A relative (an aunt or uncle, or your grandmother or grandfather).
  • Your teacher.
  • Your school counsellor.
  • Someone at your place of worship.
  • Your family doctor.

These people can help by:

  • Just listening.
  • Suggesting things you can do to make things better.
  • Giving you the names of other people who can help.

Here are some numbers you can call if you need some help and don’t know who to reach out to.

  • In Alberta, you can ask for information from the Children’s Legal and Educational Resource Centre by calling 403-207-9029 or visiting their website at www.youthlaw.ca.
  • If you’re worried about the safety of yourself or someone else in your home, call the Family Violence Info Line at 310-1818 (no area code needed) or the Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-387-5437
  • There is an online booklet called: What happens next? Information for kids about separation and divorce
  • It can help you learn more about your parents separation and divorce and can help you understand the emotions you are having.
  • Call the Kids Help Phone for free from anywhere in Canada, at 1-800-668-6868. You can also visit the Kids Help Phone website.